Sunday, October 11, 2009

Term 1- Distance Week 5 & 6

My Finals Dungeon
(It actually was quite a nice setup, but I spent WAY too many hours at this desk)

Julie,

Week 5 was a preparation week in a sense because week 6 is finals week. I am still struggling to find a place and time that works best for me to study. My biggest problems seem to be fatigue and distractions.

I usually try to study sometime in the late afternoon after I have been to work for the day. I thought this would be the best time because it would allow me to have work over for the day and be able to focus on my school work. For some reason however it is becoming less and less a good time to study. I constantly feel tired around that time and this week I even fell asleep with my head laying on the desk while I was sitting in the chair. Not the most effective...

I am having a hard time figuring out what other time would be a good time however? Guess I'll have to try a few other times and see what works best. My other problem is distractions. We both realized right off the bat that it wouldn't be good for me to try and study at home. Too much going on so that is when I decided to go to the library. That spot actually worked pretty good, but the biggest problem was location. It was out of the way from work and home so it takes extra time to get there and set up. After a few weeks, I decided to start trying going to your parents house since it is close to the office and is relatively quiet. The biggest distractions I find aren't necessarily with the location, but accessibility. I need my computer for certain documents I have to use or download that are too big to print, plus for my duke email and the platform to get everything from, BUT that also means I have access to my other email, facebook, etc etc. I have found lately that even when I leave work, I am still getting work emails, and other things that I end up doing for the first hour of "study time". I guess what is really hard about this is that I love what I am doing at work so much. I love being involved in everything that is going on in the office, so it is hard for me to shut that part of my brain off and focus on school. This will definitely be a work in progress.

Week 5 ended WONDERFULLY! It had nothing to do with work, but with Cole's birth. I am so glad everything went well and that both you and he are healthy. Now I know we are all going to have some new adjustments with a new family member, mason's adjustment, work, school, and everything, but it feels so great to have this beautiful baby boy in our house!

Week 6- Finals week
Well this week has been a major stress point. During the week, my team and I had been emailing back and forth about how stressful this financial accounting exam was and out of no where this poem came to mind that I passed on. I'm including it for the memories :)

k schipp is just on a trip,
she definitely runs a tight ship,
and Pat she don't want none of your lip. :)
So here's a little tip,

Finals have now appeared on the radar blip,
and off your hair you may want to rip,
but don't use the bird you may want to flip...

Just calm down and of your coffee take a sip.
By the end of this week your stress you can snip,
Because in the grand scheme of this MBA film strip,
Financial Accounting is thankfully only a clip!

The End

Words unfortunately not utilized in this production (skip, dip, jip, yip(ee), whip, slip, drip, zip, quip, pip (squeek), and hip)

Much love,
Hope this brightened your day :)

At times I almost feel like I get a little loopy and I definitely feel like I am still adjusting to and learning how to juggle all that is necessary to juggle to do this school thing. It is definitely an adventure.

(Day or so later) Right now it is Saturday morning and I am awaiting the beginning of my financial accounting exam. I have ME class from 9:15 to 10:15am so I will start the test about 11am. For the record, we have 24 hours to submit the exam after we download it and after talking with some of my Duke classmates, I should be planning on about 12 hours. ughhh!
I find myself being pretty nervous right now. I am not sure how this test is going to go or how well prepared I am. I have legitimate fears that I will completely fail this test and so all my hard work all term will be worthless since this final is worth 45% of our grade. I probably have these types of fears before every final I take, but they still come up every time I take a final. My other fear deals with my Managerial Effectiveness final. I have NO IDEA how to study for this final. Pretty much all the questions are based off of class participation questions and whether or not you got the idea of each class, BUT we don't really have any notes to pull from and how the heck am I suppose to remember the classes I attended back in London and every class since then without a little guidance? Anyway, that makes me nervous, but when Sunday night rolls around and I am finished with all of this stuff, you won't believe how happy I'll be just to be FINISHED!

Update: Well they are over... both of them. They are finally over. Man that financial accounting was a beast! My plan was to begin to at 11am on Saturday so I could hopefully punch out the 12 hours or so and be done by midnight and have it over with.

Well murphy's law came into effect. The Duke platform crashed and none of us could access either final. I ended up not being able to start till 12:40pm. I took the test in two hour chunks. Every two hours I would head upstairs and take a break for 15-30 minutes and then get back at it. It was definitely an interesting test. Some parts felt like they went pretty well and some parts were SO FRUSTRATING. By the end of Saturday night I found myself more often pounding the table or growling in frustration because I didn't understand the question. By that point I knew that I was exhausted and it was time to call it a night. That was at about 10:30pm so I was at about 10 hours into the test. I don't know if you remember, but Saturday night I WAS OUT! Cole was up like 3 times that night you said and I don't remember hearing a thing!

Well I got up at 6:30am, got dressed and headed back into town to take the test. I ended up going for a another 3 1/2 hours. Can you believe that? 13.5 hours to take a final? That is so crazy. I am yet to find out how I did, but I almost don't care... I'm just glad I'm done.

Managerial Effectiveness wasn't as bad. I actually didn't end up studying for it at all, but I think I did ok on it. I guess we will see when the grades come out.

Term 1 is officially finished. Unfortunately that doesn't mean we have a break and we now have to start getting ready for Term 2 and Dubai. We are 1/6th of the way done. That is actually kind of crazy to me. Its been quite a ride so far and only more fun to come right?

Love you babe, Thanks so much for all your support and encouragement. I really does mean a lot to me. You are the greatest!

Love,

Brock

No comments:

Post a Comment