Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Shanghai- Day 4

Julie,

Well another day is done and I don't feel like I have much to report. I will tell you though that structuring my day similar to how my day starts at home makes a huge difference. I was able to go to the gym again this morning and that really helped with keeping my energy up and kept me having better focus. 

Finance was quite a battle though today. Our professor seems like a really nice guy, but he is VERY dry when he teaches so it makes the class feel like it is twice as long. What is sad is there is some really key material that I think I and many others could derive a lot of information out of, but as I reflect on how the same material was taught to me in my econ classes at BYU, he sure makes it feel and seem a lot more difficult. At first I thought it was just me, but then I noticed some other people who have finance backgrounds making the same comments.

Strategy was awesome. It flew by and I really think I am going to love this class. What is even better is the professor is kind of quirky and so all the quirks come out during class. For example, every time the back door opens and gets left open (which is a lot) he stops what he is teaching to ask someone to go bak and close the door. Then today while he was saying something, someone was rattling a wrapper (they give us mints on our desks in individual wrappers) and he stopped class to ask the person to stop. It is just so funny to watch him because you can tell those things are really getting to him.

Two other really funny things that happened that won't seem as funny to you, but I thought I would write about them just to have a record of it. Throughout the various terms, there are a few consistencies in every class and they deal with particular people. First is Bob. Bob is an American that lives in Russia and in case any of us didn't know that, he is sure to start off every sentence with "Well in Russia... this is how it works or this is how it happens." It became the running joke in London and has continued ever since. He also has a funny way of raising his hand almost like he is calling a waiter over to take his order. The other prevalent person is David. He has apparently decided it is his job to ask at least 30 non subject matter related questions per class. This has gotten to the point where the other section tends to get out of class 30 minutes early because the professors are so use to our section, mainly David, asking so many questions that when the other section doesn't ask any questions they get through the material MUCH faster.

Well in two quick minutes, the professor made comments to both that had the class erupting in laughter (Again, this won't sound funny, especially in writing, but I had to record it). About half way through the class the professor asked a question and then you could see his eyes gravitate toward the back of the room where David sits. He then painstakingly looked around the room only to find that no one else was raising a hand and so he looked back at David and said, "You've already talked a lot today, let's give someone else a chance." Then a minute later he looked over after another question to see Bob giving his typical "come take my order" hand raise and called him on by saying, "you look like you're trying to order a cup of coffee." Bob then went on one of his rants about how "things were" and when he paused you could see the professor had kind of zoned out and then he came back to reality and said, "and so what was your point?" 

Oh man, it was probably the fact that it was just a long running joke, but we were all busting up laughing. 

After class, we had a 2 hour break until the CEO speaker night so I went back to the market to try and get some stuff. Apparently the cops had been through that day so all the good stuff was in hiding and they weren't going to pull it out. So we wandered around for a couple of hours and I ended up not buying ANYTHING! Tomorrow I will have another opportunity and then one on Saturday. 

Tonight was the reception/CEO night that is like the nice dinner evening. It actually turned out to be a disappointment. The CEO speaker was from American Standard and he did a great job, but the dinner was so so and there wasn't the nice setup like they've had at other residencies.

Well tomorrow is another full day of classes and then hopefully some time visiting the markets again.

Love ya,

Brock

No comments:

Post a Comment