Saturday, August 22, 2009

London- Day 9

Julie,

Well today has been a good day, but there was definitely no shortage of worry before it started. Financial Accounting had a lot of worries, myths, and straight up fears about it. There were rumors flyin around about what type of professor she was and how she treated people in class and what she demanded. One funny thing was that yesterday some students ran into in the hall while they were suppose to be in class. She pretty much asked/told them that they shouldn't leave class at all during her class when it starts. This story was passed through the group and I seriously heard 5 different versions of it. The worst of which was pretty sensationalized to the point that it was told she had yelled at them and threatened them when they were innocently going to the bathroom. It was really the complete opposite that they got tired of class so they got up and were walking the halls to stave off sleep and got caught. It was just so funny how the story morphed each time I heard it.

Class went well and although I was nervous, I was really excited to get it started. It is exactly the type of knowledge base and skills I am looking to attain so I can evaluate companies, particularly medical practices.

One funny thing I realized today. We have had so much class lately, that at our mid-morning break I realized it had been 60 HOURS since the last time I set foot outside! Can you believe that? I decided I needed to break that streak so I went and wandered outside the hotel for a couple minutes before we went back to class.

Another interesting thing happened in ME today. We were talking about networking and the informal and formal networks that exist within A business and that exist within business in general. A lot of the experiences that were shared made me reflect on the comments that have been made throughout this residency and from what I have witnessed on the streets of London. It has to do with drinking. Not just alcohol but coffee as well. Drinking is a big social motivator. A lot of people for business or social will "meet for drinks" or "go for a coffee." What I found really interesting is that in our culture we don't have a substitute for that. We will go out to dinner or lunch, but they do that as well. Drinks and coffee are almost a low-cost alternative to have an excuse to get together. We as none drinking mormons have developed pot luck dinners and family get togethers that center around food, but because of the extra preparation time and inheirant additional cost we don't do it as often or as informally (like asking someone to go for a cup of coffee right after work--doesn't need any preparation or assessment of cost other than making sure you got a couple extra bucks in your wallet.)

Because of the added benefit of something like going for drinks in business, I realize, culturally, there is something we are missing as non-participants. It made me think, wow I could definitely see myself saying, Hey let me buy you a cup of coffee so we can chat even if I was still the same me, but we lived somewhere outside of Utah. But without this program, I might have missed out on those social cues or been able to realize how important that can be. [sidenote: Obviously I'd have some cider or hot chocolate or something else to drink.] Additionally, it is interesting that we can't just use a substitute drink in our culture and make it work. Meaning, I can't go up to someone in St. George and say "you wanna go for drinks" because it implies alcoholic intentions when really it is just a means "I want to foster a business relationship here." Maybe next time I'm in that situation I will say, "Hey you want to go for an orange peel?" :)

Tonight we have a lot to do. We have a case to read and write a report on and then we have to read 3 chapters, 4 cases, and do multiple accounting problems. Things are going well. I just realized while finishing some laundry tonight that it is going to be Sunday again tomorrow. Wow, time has gone fast, yet really slow. It's kinda weird.

I love you!

Brock

No comments:

Post a Comment